Tuesday 13 July 2021

Monthly Vow 12th Of July To The 12th Of August


 Yeah The Lion is still in the box... In my defence my last day off was on the 20th of June, so anything that has been has been squeezed in around work.

Plan for July to August

I have a week off so hopefully can get some progress on the Dornian Björn project and there is a X wing Fighter to build and paint, this is for a client of my day job, those Heavy Intercessors still need to be built, as does The Lion. The Björn Fell Handed dread was bought at the weekend, think the box helbrute will be bought next month so that'll be August to September. As well I need to get the Cursed City guy off my mate for the Björn project 

Review Time. 




I finished the replacement Storm Lord off, with the sepia wash on some areas. 



I got back on with the DV Helbrute, fitting the heraldry panels on it with some green stuff, and totally forgot about putting the dire wolf head in the cowl, an inconvenience for sure, but not a big one. 


This lead me to green stuffing the Dire Wolf head on to the front of the cowling, rather than behind it like I had originally intended to do. 


The Claws were also green stuffed into place. 



I gave it all an ushabati bone base coat before going over the flesh bits with the flesh tone contrast paint I have. 




The base coat grey was applied, as was a Sepia wash in some areas. 




Top coat of grey was done and some washes applied to the dueling heraldry plate and some brass Scorpion was added to a few bits of trim, all other bits of trim were painted with an ivory look. 



I also ordered this one a more fitting base, partly as it didn't come with one and partly this looks much more fitting.





Overall I'm really pleased with how this one has come together, my one niggle is I think I should have done the area on the back around the exhaust cowls in grey rather than the flesh tones. 



The mk2 metal dread got some work done/another fiddle, before going back into the project box. 





The Juggernaut arrived, the assembled Gregor sits nicely on there without any work, I'm undecided on if I'm going to give this Gregor the blade from the blood letter. Although I say no work I am planning on removing the claw arm and moving it around so the power fist sits on the shoulder. 






I spent a day priming dreads, one I painted for the Dark Angel, with the old metal front, the Björn the Fell Handed old metal and the World Eaters Contemptor, which I missed the arm off, but found it not long after and primed that and added it to the bag this one is in. 



I need to work on those arms a bit, trim them down a touch so the guns sit better. 



I do seem to have ushabati bone base coated the World Eaters Contemptor, which got bagged at this point, at the same time as I base coated the Björn dread. 




I felt like I'd gone the wrong way with the first attempt, and after some advice I decided to strip this and start again. 





I'd ordered some more fitting bases for the Mortis Talon for The Lion's Blades. 


I though it would be a good idea to use an Intercessor as a test piece for the white on the second attempt. 

The ushabati bone base coat was gone over with a coat of stormhost silver and a Sepia wash before I went over it with a thinned pallid wytch flesh to see how that looked. 




My first attempt at the shoulder was close but needed a bit more, and with some advice from Normski Ealand at Broken Toad Brushes, I got to where I needed to be. 



As I thing I chose to paint the eye lenses 2 different colours. 





Thanks to Normski's suggestion of the Crimson and orange wash over the base coat of avaland sunset, with a yeril yellow layer and a flash git yellow layer.

On my next day off I'm planning to finish this guy with the gold and blue to see how it looks on a modern Primaris Astartes.


On Saturday I went to Preston to get the Apothecary white as well as the Björn dread, the plan was to do a second Intercessor with the contrast paint and see how it looks against the white on the first one, with the better looking version being how I'd paint the dread. I started with the contrast paint on the pack. This was not what I had hoped for, if I intend to ever do a metallic look, maybe strip the Iron Warrior contemptor and re do that, I will absolutely try this again to see how it come out as it's a very flat, metallic effect.


So the contrast got put aside and the pallid wytch flesh got thinned.


The white plates on the dread got a pallid wytch flesh dry brush.



I feel this is pretty close.


And before we went to the cinema to watch Black Widow, I had enough time to give it a general stormhost silver dry brush, with an edge highlight as well, which really does not come through in the photo.



No comments: